The title says it all, I am back in Cusco and totally beat from this weekend's trip.
Last night (while writing my Machu Picchu blog) I watched the Super Bowl, broadcast here in Spanish. It was great. Made me slightly homesick watching my favorite sport. The Peruvian housestaff was here and I was explaining the game to them (and to those who weren't from the US). They were laughing when they realized how vehemently I was cheering against the Steelers, and how happy I was when Roethlisberger dropped that last pass. So great!
Anyway this morning I awoke early and went to my new placement at El Centro De Salud Ttio (Ttio is a part of town here in Cusco). It was very interesting and very challenging. It was extremely busy and I was placed in the laboratory, helping to run blood samples and urine samples. I am actually picking up the procedures, even though it is very difficult because while I am very much able to speak spanish conversationally, the technical words used in medicine and the lab are pretty hard to grasp since I have never used them before. It's challenging and tough, but it's what I signed up for, and I am learning a lot.
After class I went home and crashed in bed. I have been so tired from my trip. After waking up I went to Spanish class where I re-learned the El Subjuntivo (the subjunctive tense). I remember learning it in the past but couldn't remember much. It has come back to me so quickly- I'm very happy.
After class I immediately fell asleep to the rain outside of my window and slept until dinner. After din din, I had the opportunity to catch up on emails and chat with friends and mom for a good while which was great. I can't believe it's already been over a week since I've been here.
We learned that there will be a transit strike here in Cusco Wednesday and Thursday of this week. Apparently this means that all Taxis and Combis are off the road (pretty much shutting down all transportation infrastructure) and the supporters of the strike barricade roads to prevent any drivers from passing. Because of this, it's unlikely that the clinic will be able to open so I will probably be off for those two days. (We are already planning StrikeFest 2011 where a few friends and I are going to hike to the top of the highest hill in Cusco where a giant white statue of Christ stands over the city- el cristo blanco).
I also met my new roommate, Nick, from North Carolina. He has been here in Peru since early January but was volunteering in the jungle for two weeks and just returned to the house. He is extremely nice and I was extremely relieved that my roommate was so congenial and fun. I hope to travel with him around sometime in the next 3 weeks.
Alright well that's about all I can think of from this side of the Equator. I hope everything is great back home and I'll talk to you tomorrow!
Greg
No comments:
Post a Comment