Wanderlust: noun. A strong desire for or impulse to wander, or, in modern usage, to travel and explore the world.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 3. The gravity of the trip.

There's no need to sugarcoat it: today was an up-and-down day. At the end of it, I can honestly say that for better and for worse I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

I awoke early for my first day in the clinic. I am assigned to El Centro de Salud de Manco Copac, which translates to Manco Copac Heath Center. La Clinica is located in a part of Cusco called la Margin Derecha, which means "The Right Margin" in English. It is so named because it is the right-most part of town, bordered only by mountains. It is one of the most impoverished areas in Cusco. As I told many of you before I came down here, Cusco is a city of polar opposites. Due to the large tourist presence, there are a few nice, private hospitals that cater almost exclusively to rich travelers and the small amount of well-to-do Cuzequeños. On the other hand, the locals are mostly disregarded medically. 50% of Cuzequeños live on less than US $2 a day, and over 25% of children are clinically malnourished. Access to healthcare for these individuals is sparse and stretched to the max. I learned this first hand this morning.

Arriving in the clinic at 8:15, I found a mass of patients waiting outside. Within a minute the security guard opened the gates and people poured in. While I was supposed to be working with Doctora Monica, one of 2 docs in the clinic, it was discovered that she was away until next Monday. Instead, I was told to head toward the laboratory where I would remain for the next 4 hours. Without being too dramatic, the clinic is in desperate need of supplies and help. Each of the 4 of us in the blood draw, urine and feces lab were allotted one pair of gloves for the whole day. The three other ladies in the lab knew absolutely no english, and I was happily surprised with my ability to communicate all day long. I was taught about the methods of examining blood and urine samples and then promptly thrown into the deep end to do it myself. At one point, devoid of a working centrifuge, me and one of the ladies swirled a vial by hand for 8 minutes. It was interesting, depressing, enlightening and scary all rolled into one. I am extremely curious for what will come next in the clinic.

At 2, I began my spanish lesson with my teacher and one other student, Nina. It is an intermediate/advanced class and it was really interesting and challenging. The 2-hour lesson was conducted entirely in Spanish without a drop of English. We conversed and then reviewed the 4 preterite tenses. It is so good for me. I remember all of this stuff vaguely from when I used to take classes, and now I am able to both re-learn and immediately apply my skills 24 hours a day. After thinking about it, I truly think that 90% of my day is conducted in Spanish. It is a tough, unforgiving, but amazing classroom.

After class, I met my tandem conversation partner, Magnolia. She is a 28-year-old Peruvian who is currently studying English. She and I talked for about 30 minutes in about 50/50 Spanish/English and then walked around Cusco talking about all the things I have to do while I'm here. We set a meeting for Thursday afternoon at a pizza place so that we can continue our conversation. I am really excited about this because this type of cross-cultrual friendship and understanding is what I truly thrive on.



3 Days in, I can honestly say that this experience will be different than any other I've had. Loneliness, for instance, is an emotion that I am only vaguely familiar with, but it is one that I think I will get to know quite well while I'm here. While the language barrier is certainly conquerable, it makes comprehension quite difficult. I'm often left feeling quite confused and inadequate. Such is the plight of a gringo trying to conquer spanish, I know, but it doesn't make the challenge any easier. Over the next few days, I hope that I will develop more friendships and get in more a of a solidified routine. But I must be true to myself and admit that these things may never happen fully to my liking. I remind myself constantly that I came here to help in a community that needs it and at the same time work to develop more understanding of a culture and people with which I am unfamiliar. Doing both of these things requires improvisation, flexibility, and knowing that you can never anticipate everything (or anything). If I wanted an easy, planned, problem-free trip... RoyalCaribbean.com has some amazing deals.

I am excited and optimistic, and truly curious for what lies ahead. I can't wait to find out.

Gotta get to work on my homework from Spanish class (one page essay on my past)! Love you all!


Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment